I have a confession. I waste food a lot. I’m so ashamed! My grandmother grew up during the Great Depression, and she would be disappointed if she found out. I always get excited to try a new recipe, and buy an ingredient or two that I know I will never use again after the one new recipe. (Please tell me I’m not the only one!) Then whatever it was that I bought ends up just going bad in my fridge. And when I go to clean out my fridge months later (that’s a confession for another day; I’m terrible at getting around to cleaning out the fridge), I find it and am reminded of the vow I made to myself when I bought it that I would find another recipe with it in it so I could use it up before it went bad. Then once again I feel ashamed of money wasted and my privileged American ways.
But I’m getting better.
I had never used sun-dried tomatoes before. Is that weird? I have this bad habit of just cooking what my mom cooked for us growing up, and buying the ingredients that we routinely had in our home. Which means that as I’ve recipe searched on the internet, my eyes have been opened to a whole bunch of food I didn’t know was out there! (That’s what brings up my concern of trying new recipes and wasting ingredients. But like I said, I’m getting better!)
I bought sun-dried tomatoes for a certain recipe which turned out okay, but in an attempt to not waste them, I made some INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS chicken in sauce. If you’re looking for a great comfort food for dinner tonight, this is it! I will share my good finds with you:
Crock Pot Sun-Dried Tomato and Corn Chicken
- 3 medium chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
- 1 Alfredo sauce (get recipe here)
- 1/3 jar (11.5 oz) sun-dried tomatoes, chopped small
- 1/2 c frozen corn
- 1/2 t Red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 t Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 c Mashed potatoes
- Make Alfredo sauce in a saucepan. Add sun-dried tomatoes (without adding any oil), corn, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to the sauce.
- Throw chicken breasts into the crock-pot. Drizzle a small amount of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes over the chicken. Cover the chicken with the sauce.
- Let cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
- Serve over mashed potatoes* and enjoy!
*You can also serve the sauce over fettuccine noodles if desired.
One more thing about this recipe: I DO NOT like chicken once it’s been reheated in the microwave. But with the leftovers I had of this, the chicken still tasted so good, and was still so tender from being cooked in the crock-pot. You can’t go wrong with this recipe!